Useful properties and application of daikon
Daikon entered our diet relatively recently, but already managed to catch the fancy of many and gain popularity. In addition to the pleasant taste, there are numerous useful properties that will be interesting to know.
What it is?
Daikon refers to the roots and something similar to the usual radish, but differs from it in taste and appearance characteristics. Firstly, it is a form that is usually elongated elliptical, reminiscent of carrots. The color is light, almost white. Secondly, daikon is quite large: the mass of one piece can reach 5-10 kg, but more often there are specimens of 1.5-2 kg. Thirdly, the taste is pleasant and sweet, there is almost no bitterness in it.
For your information! The name of the root is translated as a "big root", and the people have other names: Chinese, Asian or sweet radish.
What is contained in daikon?
The composition of daikon is rich in numerous essential human body substances: carbohydrates, fiber, enzymes,organic acids, enzymes, phytoncides, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, chromium, copper, sodium, selenium, iodine, vitamins C, PP and group B.
Proteins in 100 grams of Chinese radish only slightly more than 1 g, and caloric content is 21 kilocalories, so that the root can be called dietary.
How useful is the amazing daikon? Consider its properties:
- Root is good to eat with weight loss. Firstly, it is low in calories, and secondly, fiber fills the stomach and leaves you feeling full for several hours.
- Potassium maintains water-salt balance and prevents the development of tissue edema, and also improves the contractile activity of the heart muscle and reduces the risk of myocardial infarction.
- B vitamins are very important for maintaining a stable metabolism, because they are involved in important reactions occurring in the human body. Without them, a normal metabolism is impossible.
- Iodine is needed for the smooth functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Fiber helps to promptly clean the gastrointestinal tract and the entire body from toxins and slags.
- Iron helps maintain optimal levels of hemoglobin in the blood.And hemoglobin, in turn, is responsible for transporting oxygen to all tissues.
- Phytoncides have antibacterial properties, help fight infections.
- Phosphorus supports healthy bone structure, improves brain activity.
- Without the B vitamins, the nervous system will not function normally: they restore its cells after overloading, improve sleep, reduce anxiety.
- Selenium is especially useful for men who plan to continue the race, as it improves the motility and viability of the germ cells - sperm.
- Magnesium relieves muscle tension, helps with cramps.
- Vitamin C supports immunity, during the cold season forms the protective barrier of the body.
- Ascorbic acid helps to strengthen small and large vessels.
- Daikon has antioxidant properties that neutralize free radicals. Thus, the processes of premature aging and oxidation of tissues are slowed down, the degeneration of healthy cells is prevented, and the prevention of cancer diseases is ensured.
- Enzymes improve and accelerate the digestion of food, especially heavy, for example, amyloid or fatty.
- Chinese radish is useful when coughing, as it facilitates the discharge of sputum and thins mucus.
- The root vegetable maintains an optimal level of cholesterol in the body.
Use in cooking
How to cook Asian radish? In China, the product is very popular, and some recipes will surely appeal to you:
- Make a simple salad with meat. Cook 300 grams of lean veal or turkey (and chicken is suitable), cut into strips. Rub or drain the daikon, chop the onion, chop the dill. Combine all ingredients, season with sour cream, butter or mayonnaise, salt.
- Delicious will get a savory root snack, for the preparation of which you need to prepare one medium daikon, a teaspoonful of sugar and salt, two tbsp. l. lemon juice, 2 tbsp. l. apple cider vinegar, three cloves of garlic and a pinch of turmeric. First, peel the root and either rub it on a large grater or cut with a knife for Korean snacks. Mix the remaining ingredients (peel and rub the garlic or pass through the press) and pour the chopped daikon with this marinade, mix everything and put it in the fridge for a few hours.
- Scratch equal amounts of carrots and Chinese radish, add sesame seeds and season the salad with olive oil, adding a little rice sweet vinegar and salt to taste.
Homemade recipes for prevention and treatment
Traditional medicine is another area in which daikon has been used for a long time, widely and successfully. Consider several use cases:
- Chopped pulp in the form of lotions is used for non-healing trophic ulcers and purulent wounds.
- Juice, squeezed from fresh pre-battered daikon, will help to eliminate constipation, if you drink it daily after meals with 3-5 tablespoons.
- For arrhythmias and other disorders of the heart rhythm, such a remedy is useful: daikon is rubbed, filled with sugar. When the juice is released, it must be taken three times a day, one or two tablespoons.
- Finely chop or rub the root vegetable in the amount of 150-200 grams, add 3-4 tablespoons of natural honey and mix everything. The next day, squeeze and strain the juice, take it when you cough two tablespoons after a meal. You can also rub your breasts with juice.
- For the prevention of colds, drink every day after breakfast a third of a glass of fresh daikon juice.
Useful Chinese radish can also be used in cosmetology for the preparation of effective home remedies. Recipes:
- For acne, inflammation and black spots, regularly wipe the skin of the face with a cotton pad moistened in fresh juice of the root crop in the morning, then wash with cool water.
- The pulp crushed to a state of pulp is applied on the face and kept for an hour, after which it is removed with water. This mask will help with hyperpigmentation, improve the complexion, moisturize, suppress inflammation and eliminate irritation, tones well.
- For loose or fading skin, a mask made of pureed daikon, olive oil, honey and egg white is suitable. All components are mixed in equal proportions, the mass is evenly distributed over the surface of the face, kept for an hour, after which it is washed off.
- Juice can be rubbed into the scalp to stimulate hair growth, fight dandruff and eliminate flaking. In addition, the tool normalizes the activity of the sebaceous glands, reducing fat.
Although daikon is incredibly useful, its use and consumption is contraindicated in acute exacerbations of gastrointestinal diseases (ulcers, pancreatitis, gastritis),individual hypersensitivity to the product, intestinal obstruction, liver and kidney diseases, gout and stones in the gall bladder or kidneys.
If Chinese radish is abused, such effects as rumbling in the stomach and heaviness, flatulence, stool disorders, and unpleasant belching may develop.
Daikon is a tasty and healthy root vegetable. Be sure to buy it more often and use it for cooking light meals, prevention and treatment, as well as for preserving beauty.
Maslenitsa and Lent in 2019
Sights of the amazing city of Pilsen
Pros and cons of the Bormental diet
Horoscope for the week from March 26 to April 1
Top 10 of the best films about the invasion of aliens
Beautiful and trendy makeup in gold tones
Puzzle Arrow in a Bottle
8 pairs of cool sneakers for spring