Nicoise - a popular and tasty salad
Salads are present at any festive table, but if you are tired of the popular, then try to cook something unusual. Delight and surprise your relatives or guests with the original and delicious Niçoise salad.
What is this dish?
Nicoise Salad is a popular French salad made from fresh vegetables, anchovies, boiled eggs and olive oil. Lemon juice or vinegar (but only wine) is sometimes used as a dressing, some chefs prepare more complex multi-component sauces, this is also allowed.
As for the composition, there are a variety of variations. So, often among the ingredients are found tuna, green bean pods, rice or boiled vegetables, for example, potatoes. But true connoisseurs of French cuisine claim that beans, potatoes, and rice have never been part of the real Nicoise, although it is not known for certain.
The history of the salad, according to one of the versions, goes back to Nice, this particular city is considered the birthplace of the dish.And some historians believe that the composer George Balanchin took part in the creation. The origin of the name is unknown.
How to cook?
How to cook a classic Nicoise salad? There is no definite traditional recipe, or it is simply forgotten. But there are a variety of variations, so that any gourmet will find something to your taste. Below are a few recipes.
The most popular option is a salad with tuna, tomatoes, potatoes, anchovies and some other ingredients. Here is a complete list of them:
- 400 grams of tuna (can be used canned, cooked in its own juice);
- 8 cleaned and cut anchovies (i.e., fillets);
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes or 150-200 grams of cherry tomatoes;
- half a glass of olives (pitted);
- 2 medium potatoes;
- 2-3 chicken eggs (or 6-7 quail);
- 50-70 grams of lettuce leaves;
- 1 shallot onion (can be replaced with red);
- 400 grams of green beans.
For salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons of white wine or cider vinegar;
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 clove of garlic (optional);
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly using a brush, then boil in lightly salted water right in the skin. Next, remove the potatoes, pour them with cold water, cool and peel, cut into circles or slices.
- Wash the string beans, cut off the tips. Then you can bake it in the oven, fry in a pan in a small amount of butter or boil for 7-8 minutes in salted water (in this case, to preserve the color, immediately fill it with cold water, shifting it to a colander).
- Onion cut into half rings, pre-peeled.
- Salad narvite hands on large pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes into fairly large slices.
- Prepare the sauce that you will use for the dressing. Crush or grind garlic in another way, mix it with olive oil, vinegar, pepper and salt, whisk until smooth.
- In the dish in which you plan to serve the salad, put lettuce leaves, and put the rest of the ingredients on them. Pour all the dressing on top or serve it separately in a sauce-pot.
This recipe is simpler, since it involves replacing tuna and anchovy with chicken, which is common for many.
List of ingredients:
- 500 grams of chicken fillet;
- 300 grams of fresh frozen or fresh beans;
- 70-80 grams of arugula;
- 200 grams of cherry tomatoes;
- 50-70 grams of pitted olives;
- 4 chicken eggs.
To prepare the filling, you will need:
- a third cup of olive oil ("extra virgin");
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice;
- two cloves of garlic;
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard.
Description of the cooking process:
- Chicken fillet should be peeled and boiled in salted water for about half an hour until ready (after boiling water must be replaced). Do not pour out the broth, it is still useful. Next cool it and cut into slices 3-4 cm long and 1.5 cm wide. Another option is to bake the fillet in the oven (also without skin).
- Bring the chicken broth (or water, if you have baked the fillet) to a boil, run the washed green beans into it and boil until soft for about 7-10 minutes.
- Boil eggs boiled, cut in half or slices.
- Arugula narvite hands, but not too small.
- Cut the olives into slices or cut into halves.
- Cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- Now it's time to do a gas station. Mix the mustard, lemon juice and olive oil, add the chopped garlic and whisk everything together to create a homogeneous mass.
- Mix the tomatoes, beans and arugula, add the dressing, then put the rest of the ingredients in the dish, pour the sauce on top.
A few recommendations:
- If you wish, tuna can be replaced with salmon or other sea fish, both canned and grilled or in the oven.
- Try to add to the original Nicoise salad baked in the oven Bulgarian pepper.
- Potatoes can be replaced with rice.
- Capers will add savory flavor to the dish. You can replace them with pickled gherkins.
Croutons with tomatoes and cheese for breakfast
How to congratulate a man on his birthday
Simple 12 V LED tube
Trends of autumn 2017, or what will be fashionable in six months
A simple way to make a bird feeder