Luxurious and beautiful flower gerberas
Bouquets of gerberas always look very solemn and beautiful. These elegant flowers are also called transvaal chamomile, but they are really similar. But they can grow not only in greenhouse conditions, but even at home.
This flower was discovered more than 100 years ago in South Africa, where more than 30 of its species of various shades grow. And today, breeders continue to display new varieties, pleasing the eye.
These plants are very thermophilic, so grow them in our climate is desirable in greenhouses, greenhouses or winter gardens.
Having presented a bouquet of such flowers to a loved one, you can be sure that he will long please him with his beauty, because gerberas can keep their freshness in cut form for 3 weeks. But the plants in the pot necessarily decorate the room with their charming appearance and bring you real aesthetic pleasure.
If you want to enjoy flowering Transvaal chamomile on your windowsill, then it's better to choose the kind of Festival.This plant has a few leaves and blooms very lush. The sizes of peduncles reach 10-12 cm in diameter. But for the garden plot, Jameson's gerberas are perfect, they are larger and perfectly fit into various floral arrangements.
Proper cultivation at home and in the garden
Despite the fact that the seeds of Transvaal chamomile can be bought at any gardening shop, this flower is quite capricious and will require a lot of effort from you in the process of growing. When choosing seeds, be sure to pay attention to the shelf life. So that they ascend, you can not buy goods that lie more than 7-8 months in stock.
Sow gerberas on seedlings should be in early spring. The best soil is a mixture of sand, peat and earth. It must first be loosened and put the seeds on top. Do not regret them, because the germination rate is not too high. “Cover” future seedlings need a substrate and a little water. From above, the pot should be covered with plastic wrap, which must be periodically opened to allow free access of air and moisten the top layer of the soil. If you did everything correctly and on time, the result will appear in 2 weeks.
When sprouts have 3-5 leaves, they can be transferred to open ground or a large pot.
For those who want to enjoy the look and aroma of gerbera at home, you should know a few secrets.
- These colors need a sufficient amount of air, so the pot is better to choose clay, it has the necessary breathable properties.
- For irrigation, use standing warm water at least 20 degrees. It can be poured into the pot tray, but after half an hour the remaining water will need to be drained, or poured onto the edge of the soil without affecting the root area.
- To gerbera was bright and "live", at least once a day, spray on its leaves from a spray.
- The best place to plant a pot with a house plant is a well-lit window sill. When the street becomes warm, it can be transferred to the balcony.
- Gerbera needs extra nutrition. Do this several times a month (from 2 to 4) with mineral mixtures. They should be fairly concentrated, take a little less water than indicated in the instructions.
- Pruning a home plant is not necessary, wilted inflorescences better neatly break off.
- Comfortable temperature during the flowering period - 15-23 degrees. In winter, they do not tolerate dry air, and also need additional lighting.
Well, for those who want to create floristic beauty, making bouquets, you should know how to grow a gerbera in the open ground. When spring nights are no longer scary by frost, transvaal chamomile sprouts can be transferred to the ground. In order for them to feel comfortable, the place should be well lit, this will allow to achieve the desired length and size in the flowering process. The soil must first be drained and fertilized.
As in the case of plants grown in indoor conditions, gerberas in the garden plot need regular watering with warm water. Make sure that it does not fall on the leaf plates, because it can lead to rotting.
In winter, the root system of a faded plant should be dug out, poured with sawdust or sand and stored in a dry cool place.
Pests and diseases
We have already mentioned that gerberas are quite capricious, therefore, with the wrong and untimely care, they can start to hurt.If you do not water the plant often enough, a whitefly and aphid may appear on it. In case of water stagnation, gray and white mold can also strike the gerbera. If you notice the affected leaves, you need to remove them, reduce the number of waterings and spray the flower with copper sulphate.
Low air humidity for a house plant can be fraught with the appearance of a spider mite, which sucks all the juice out of the leaves, making the plant unviable. You can fight this pest with fungicides.
Compliance with all the conditions of proper care will allow you to enjoy a bright, luxurious flower on your windowsill or in the garden every year.
Some secrets you need to know if you are going to buy a ring
What is the pain
How to organize a wedding abroad
How to waste water