How to learn how to sew things yourself?
If you are tired of shopping in search of stylish, beautiful and suitable clothing, then stop doing it and learn how to sew yourself. But how to do that?
How to study?
If you decide to start learning, then you have several options:
- Courses of cutting and sewing. This option is the most effective, because experienced teachers will be able to not only tell you, but also clearly demonstrate all the features of such classes as sewing. They will correct your mistakes and answer all your questions. The only disadvantage of this method is cash costs. By the way, instead of courses, you can find a tailor who will conduct classes individually.
- The second method is the use of teaching literature. Some manuals are so detailed and have so many clear and understandable illustrations that the emergence of questions is simply impossible. In addition, some allowances are presented ready-made patterns that even beginners can use.
- The third way is online training. Find a dedicated website with tutorials, detailed videos and descriptions of all processes.
What is required for training?
To sew, you need to prepare everything you need. Here's what you need:
- Even if you are not going to sew by hand, remember that some items can only be processed this way. Therefore, by all means get a set of tailors' needles of different lengths, thicknesses and shapes.
- It is more convenient and quick to sew on a typewriter, so be sure to purchase this device. It is better to buy a manual machine that is not very difficult to handle, but it should have all the necessary functions. You can consult with the seller.
- Curved handles. They are most convenient to cut complex elements.
- Devices for measuring: measuring tape, ruler (it is best to choose transparent, it is much more convenient to use).
- Tracing paper. It will be used to transfer the created patterns directly to the materials. Also, a beginner can be useful copy paper.
- Be sure to buy sewing threads. And remember that the quality of the ready-made clothes will depend on their quality.
- For temporary fastening of individual elements, English pins may be required.
- Special tailor's pens, pencils and crayons.
- To create patterns you need special drawing paper with markings.
- It is worth buying furniture in advance.
- For convenience, you can prepare a needle pad.
- You can use a thimble to protect your fingers.
How to learn to sew at home? We list all the main stages.
In sewing and cutting there is a mass of terms unknown to ordinary people. So your first step towards mastering the basics should be the study of such terms. Try to remember everything. At first it will not be easy, so for convenience and quick memorization, write all the concepts on a piece of paper and hang it in front of your workplace.
Removing the measurements is a very important part of the preparation for tailoring. If the measurements are taken incorrectly, the finished thing simply will not work. So remember a few basic rules:
- Remove all clothing, you should remain only in the underwear. But if you sew a piece of clothing, then you do not need to shoot anything.
- Measurements of the chest and thighs should be made at the most convex places of these parts of the body. But you need to measure the waist in its narrowest zone. Measuring tape should fit snugly to the body, but not tighten it.
- If you sew clothes yourself, it is better to ask someone to help you take measurements, so that the measuring tape is located exactly where you need it.
- Do not pull in the stomach while taking measurements. Just relax.
Now it is worth learning to cut. Today it is not as difficult as it was literally ten to twenty years ago. There are many fashion magazines with ready-made patterns. It is enough just to correct them a bit, taking into account the peculiarities of your figure, and then proceed to the transfer. In addition, there are special computer programs that allow you to make a pattern in minutes.
It will be enough for you to simply enter your parameters and transfer the finished drawing to paper on an enlarged (real) scale. Also do not forget about seam allowances, but they are indicated almost everywhere. In addition, take into account and the increase in freedom of fit, the thing should not impede movement.When the pattern is fully prepared, you can cut it.
Transferring patterns to fabric
Before transferring the pattern, smooth the fabric well, as even a small fold can interfere and eventually turn into a defect in the finished thing. Now attach the separate parts of the pattern to the fabric with pins or threads and needles. Attach the pattern to the seamy side, but consider the location of parts. Now gently circle the pattern, using chalk for a dark cloth or a pencil for a light one.
Assembly of parts
Gently cut all the finished parts from the fabric. Connect them and staple with simple hint stitches. Now, by all means, do a fitting, and then proceed to the most important stage.
Prepare a sewing machine and start sewing. Firmly but gently hold and advance the fabric with your hands so that all the lines are smooth.
Some useful tips:
- If you start to sew from scratch, then do not strive to sew something complicated right away. Start with simple models, and then move on to more complex ones.
- To all the lines were perfectly smooth, practice. Sit at the typewriter and start flashing unnecessary cuts of fabric.When the stitches stop wagging, you can start sewing.
- It is best to study each sewing operation separately and thoroughly. This will avoid mistakes and missteps.
- It is worth finding out and studying the most common mistakes to avoid them.
Good luck to you! You will certainly succeed!
Chicken peas from the island of Mallorca - recipe
26 great ideas with drawings to create a dream cabinet
Top 10 reasons for a woman to love shopping
Test: is your speech literate?
What are change houses