How To Cosplay: Make A Sailor Fuku (School Uniform)!
How to Draw a Sailor Fuku
The Japanese school uniform for girls, typically seen in anime or manga, has a unique look to it with its pleated skirt, special collar and uniquely tied tie. These uniforms, known assailor fukusorseifuku, are most commonly used for junior high schools and their usage as the high school uniform is declining in favor of a more Western-style look. However, as sailor fukus are commonly associated with Japan and its education system, they're a common sight. It can be confusing to know how to draw one, but with a few simple steps, you'll have it mastered in no time.
Drawing a Typical Uniform
Sketch out the girl and scene.You should already have the sketch of the girl you want to be wearing the sailor fuku. Keep in mind that if she's posing in a somewhat odd manner or if she's in motion - for example, running - the uniform isn't going to hang straight down.
- Keep in mind the thickness of the uniform. Japanese schools often have two sailor fukus - the summer uniform and the winter uniform. The summer uniform is much lighter and is usually worn with a short sleeved shirt, whereas the winter uniform is made of a thicker material and tends to be longer in skirt length and shirt sleeve length.
Draw the shirt.The shirt of the sailor fuku often comes down to the hips and will usually have either long sleeves or short sleeves.
- If you have difficulty drawing the shirt, break it up by shape - the part of the shirt covering the torso is rectangular, as are the sleeves. Depending on how the girl is posing, you may have to use other shapes to connect the sleeves to the torso of the shirt.
- The material of the shirt is close to that of a formal blouse - it won't cling to the girl's features.
Draw the skirt.The sailor fuku's skirts are usually knee-length or longer, and is often pleated with medium-sized knife pleats, which are easily drawn with simple rectangular pieces.
- The heaviness of the material will affect how the skirt moves. The summer skirt, for example, is lighter than the winter skirt and will move with the breeze easier.
- The skirt is high-waisted and does not have an elastic waistband; it zips up the side, and it closes with a hook-and-eye loop. If the skirt is oversized, the girl would have to wear a belt underneath her shirt.
Draw the collar.Typically, the sailor collar is a piece of the uniform that goes over the neck of the shirt and hangs a few inches down between the shoulder blades, rarely lower.
- The collar extends out to just before the shoulders. It's quite wide.
- The front of the collar can be created with triangular pieces and then be rounded out; the back of the collar is usually just rectangular.
- Sailor collars are often depicted with stripes on them. These stripes frequently wrap around the outer "ring" of the collar, and sometimes are on the center piece as well.
- Some uniforms have "cuffs" on the shirt sleeves that are the same material as the collar. These also tend to have stripes on them.
Draw the tie.The tie for the sailor fuku is often less of a tie and more of a handkerchief, which creates the classic knot that's often seen in anime and manga.
- The classic tie can be drawn with simple rectangular shapes or with teardrop shapes.
- If you're more advanced at drawing, try out drawing the wrinkles in the tie near the knot.
Draw shoes and socks.The uniform's socks are usually knee-length. The shoes are dependent on whether the student is indoors or outdoors, and are somewhat rectangular.
- The outdoor shoes are typically a pair of black or dark brown loafers.
- The indoor shoes are a pair of "slippers" that can vary in their looks. The most common look for the indoor shoes are white canvas shoes with rubber soles. They are kept in lockers or cubbies at the entrances of schools, and are not to be worn outside. Make sure you don't draw your girl wearing her indoor shoes outside, or vice versa!
Erase any extra lines.
Color in your drawing.The sailor fuku is often depicted as either white and navy with a red tie, or black and white, depending on whether it's the summer or the winter uniform. However, not all schools stick to this color scheme, and some schools have differently colored collars or shirts. And if you want, color it however you wish! It doesn't have to be realistic.
Alter the sleeves of the blouse.The sailor fuku blouse typically only has two types of sleeves - long and short. However, even with just those two types of sleeves, there are different ways the sleeves can be designed - with buttons, with or without cuffs, slightly puffed, or plain sleeves. Some girls also choose to wear long-sleeved summer shirts and roll up the sleeves, either to the elbow or to turn them into short sleeves.
- The shirt can be either long-sleeved or short-sleeved if it's the summer uniform. Typically the long-sleeved shirts are saved by the girls for when it's somewhat colder, such as in the spring months, although they can be worn with the sleeves rolled up. The sleeves of the short-sleeved shirt can be somewhat puffy or be buttoned at the cuff.
- The winter uniforms do not have short-sleeved shirts. The fabric of the winter uniform is also heavier, so a slightly oversized winter uniform would have somewhat baggy sleeves.
Draw a cardigan, instead of a blouse.Some girls choose to wear cardigans over their shirts, which tend to have longer and somewhat thicker sleeves (though not as thick as the winter uniform itself). Common color choices for the cardigans are tan, white, and occasionally black.
Sketch different types of ties.The classic tie seen in many anime series and manga stories isn't the only option! There are many varieties of ties and ways to knot them - such as various bows or Western-style ties.
Change the length of the skirt.Not every school has skirts of the same length, and even skirts from the same school can be of different lengths! Skirts can be longer or shorter than knee-length.
- Short skirts resembling miniskirts are common sights in anime and manga. (These come from rolled-up skirts, so the waistband would be thicker due to the extra fabric.)
- Extremely long skirts reaching down to the ankles are key traits ofsukeban(female delinquents), an archetype that doesn't appear much in the real world now. However, before long skirts were associated with delinquents, some schools had uniforms that used long skirts.
Test out different types of socks.While most sailor fukus are paired with knee-high socks, some aren't. Drawing shorter socks (such as ankle socks) or stockings are creative ways of altering the uniform.
- Stockings are a common choice in the anime and manga world, especially with tsundere characters. To draw these, just raise the height of the socks to above the knee.
- Loose socks are common in manga and thekogalandgyarufashion.
Tweak the stripes on the sailor collar.Typically, the collar has at least one stripe on it, although two stripes is also a common sight. Some schools also have small stripes on different parts of the collar - for example, in the back corner of the collar, but this is not often seen.
- If a uniform's collar has stripes on it, as well as collared cuffs on the sleeves, the cuffs may be seen sporting stripes, too. Don't forget about those!
QuestionHow do I draw the fist and hand? I'm having trouble with this.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThink about the basic shape and structure of your hand or your fist. Your fingers actually resemble long rectangular boxes rather than perfect cylinders. Search up images online and see if you can grasp the structure of the hand. You can also look at your own hand and try to draw it. Of course, most importantly, just keep practicing and you'll begin to get the hang of it.Thanks!
QuestionWhat type of coloring tools can I use to make it pretty?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can color your artwork with anything you like. Colored pencils, crayons, oil pastels, and soft pastels are all great options.Thanks!
QuestionWhat utensils are recommended for drawing something like this?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse a B or HB drawing pencil, and for the final drawing, a thin black marker or pen. Drawing guidelines will be very helpful.Thanks!
- Don't make the pleats in the skirt too large or small. The skirts typically have pleats that are an inch or two long. A skirt with smaller pleats may be easier to get away with, but a skirt with large pleats will look extremely out of place.
- You don't have to stick with the typical color scheme. It's usually seen in anime or manga that the sailor fuku's typical colors are a white shirt, a navy blue skirt and collar, and a red tie. You don't have to stick to these colors - change it up if you want! However, keep in mind that sailor fukus aren't meant to be loud and make students stick out in the crowd, so if you're trying to make it realistic, avoid making it multiple crazy colors.
- During the winter months, some schools permit the girls to wear leggings or tights under their skirts, as it can get rather cold. However, not all schools do this!
Video: DIY Japanese Anime School Uniform: DIY Easy Long Sleeve Seifuku + DIY Seifuku Scarf
7 Kick-Ass Sex Toys You Can Get On Amazon Prime
House Intel asks Trump bodyguard about Moscow prostitutes allegation
Solve most of your problems by solving just one
How Much Do Tattoos Cost – Tattoo Prices 101
What to Buy at Topshop for Spring2017
These Bras Give You Loungewear Comfort With Underwire-Free Support
4 Super-Effective Dumbbell Moves You Havent Tried Before
Best MAC Concealers Available In India – Our Top 10
18 Chloé Pieces Sure to Inspire Every Fast-Fashion Store NextSeason
7 Kitchen Canisters Youll Want to Show Off
Top Summer Hair Colors for Teens