How to cook hummus - 5 step by step recipes
To properly and tasty cook classic hummus of chickpeas at home, you have to try hard. But guests will be surprised by your courage, excellent economic skills and a wide culinary outlook.
What is hummus?
Hummus is a puree dish, an appetizer that is popular in the countries of the Mediterranean and the Middle East, with a high content of vegetable protein. Exquisite food for Russian cuisine. Traditionally, hummus is made from chickpeas (beans) with the addition of garlic, olive oil, sesame paste, spices and spices.
In the article I will tell you in detail how to cook hummus from chickpeas, how it is useful for health, how it is combined with other products, share interesting recipes and tricks that simplify the cooking process.
The two main ingredients of hummus
The basis of hummus. These are small beans with a brown-greenish shade and a rough surface. In common people called chickpeas and bubble.Form - non-standard, resembles the head of a ram. In Russian stores can be found canned chickpeas, which greatly facilitates the process of cooking hummus and falafel (without prolonged soaking and 2-3 hours of cooking).
Thina (sesame or sesame paste, tahini)
Oily pasta, which is made from sesame seeds. Thick in consistency. Find a product on the shelves of domestic supermarkets is problematic. Specialized food stores for the Middle East are needed, and better - friends or relatives living in Lebanon, Israel or Jordan and ready to help.
The remaining 4 essential ingredients (lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and zira) are easier to find.
Do not despair if you can not find all the ingredients for the preparation of classic hummus. Middle Eastern snack is prepared in many ways, with the addition of all sorts of ingredients in different proportions.
Useful tips before cooking
- Analogue of sesame paste can be obtained at home. Crush sesame seeds. Lightly fry (dry) in a pan. Pour the seeds into a blender, letting it cool beforehand.Gradually add the olive oil, beating until a homogeneous mixture. Ideally, the mixture should have a creamy consistency.
- Hummus is made from hot chickpeas. This facilitates the process of mixing with pasta and spices.
- If the beans are boiling hot, don't bother removing the skins. Blender will help to get a homogeneous mass.
- Do not add spices in beans (cumin, coriander) in the dish. Drain on a griddle and grind with a coffee grinder.
- Cooking chickpeas in water takes an average of 2-3 hours. Do not forget about the mandatory pre-soaking for 10-12 hours. The ratio of water to chickpeas during cooking is 3: 1.
- Olive oil and lemon juice are important ingredients. Their goal is to balance and soften the rich taste of beans with spices and the bitter taste of a sesame paste.
- Zira is a spicy Asian spice with a pronounced smell and a pleasant aroma. It turns out from the dried seeds of the grass belonging to the parsley family. Often used in kebabs, shurpa and lamb cooking. If you do not get cumin, use cumin or a mixture of coriander, black and red peppers.
Hummus is cooked in different ways, so the nutritional value (energy value) of the dish depends on the additional ingredients used (for example, eggplant, feta cheese, hot pepper, pine nuts). AverageThe calorific value of 100 g of hummus is 200-300 calories. Often, a puree mixture is used as a vegetable paste for sandwiches or as a side dish for meat. This increases the overall caloric content of food.
Benefit and harm
Middle Eastern food is gaining popularity in European countries and the USA, becoming a frequent guest on the table of vegetarians and people suffering from gluten enteropathy (a rare disease associated with the need to exclude pasta, flour products, products made from rye, barley and wheat from the diet).
Moderate consumption of hummus contributes to the elimination of toxins, the normalization of blood sugar levels. The product contains manganese and iron, vegetable protein and essential fatty acids. B-group vitamins (B1, B4, B5) are also present in the overseas dish, which favorably affects brain activity, the functioning of the heart and the endocrine system.
Excessive consumption of chickpeas makes the development of flatulence(increased gas formation in the intestines). It is not recommended to eat hummus often for people prone to gaining extra pounds. Contraindications to the use is individual intolerance to ingredients, allergic reactions.
Hummus - classic chickpea recipe
- Chickpeas - 200 g,
- Thina - 2 tablespoons,
- Lemon is a half,
- Olive oil - 2 large spoons,
- Garlic - 1 clove,
- Zira - half a teaspoon,
- Coriander, red pepper and salt - to taste.
- In the evening I wash the beans several times and soak them in clean water. This is an important stage of preparation. Without soaking, it will take a long time (3-4 hours) to cook the chickpeas.
- Once again, my chickpea and shift to the pan. I pour the water. I stew. The average cooking time is 120 minutes. Willingness is determined by the consistency. The beans should swell and soften.
- Gently pour broth into a separate dish. Leave to cool.
- Chickpeas crush with a blender. Adding a little broth. Stir well.
- I put chopped garlic and sesame paste in the mixture. Salt and add fresh lemon juice (half enough lemon).
- The finished dish is sent to the refrigerator for 1 hour for "ripening".
- Serve classic hummus on a table with pita bread.
How to cook homemade hummus from peas
An alternative recipe for tasty hummus without chickpeas (with peeled peas) and a mixture of black and white sesame instead of a special paste. It turns out not quite hummus, but no less original dish. Try cooking!
- Peas - 200 g,
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - 3 tablespoons,
- Sesame oil - 45 ml,
- White sesame - 1 tablespoon,
- Black sesame - half a teaspoon,
- Chili - 2 pieces,
- Curcuma - 5 grams,
- Garlic - 3 cloves,
- Salt - to taste.
- I cook peas in the evening. Washed in running water. I remove the damaged peas. Leave for 12 hours in clean water for soaking.
- In the morning I take out the beans. I transfer it to the pan. I pour the water and close the lid. Turn on the burner on a slow fire. Cook for 90 minutes without adding salt. Peas should swell and become soft.
- I send the finished product to the blender. Grind to a homogeneous consistency. To the pea puree (without lumps) add lemon juice.Make sure the lemon bones do not get into the dish.
- Turn to sesame dressing. I take the pan. I dry white grains to golden state. I do not use vegetable oil. Throw sesame in mashed potatoes, add sesame oil.
- Finely cut hot pepper and grind garlic. I mix the vegetable mixture, seasoned with a pinch of salt, then add to the dish. I put fragrant spice (turmeric). The final touch is black sesame. Carefully stir the cooked meal with a spoon.
Helpful advice.Adding chili pepper and turmeric reduces the shelf life of hummus. Eat fresh better. Bon Appetit!
A simple recipe for hummus beans in a home combine
The main component of hummus in this recipe is the usual canned beans, and not pea when cooking boiled peas.
- In a food processor, I crush garlic cloves and rosemary.
- At the second stage I add beans and other products.
- While mixing the mass, gently pour in olive oil.
- I put the finished hummus in a glass dish. Cover with lid, send in the fridge for a few hours.
How to cook hummus from canned chickpeas with eggplants
- Eggplant - 500 g,
- Canned chickpeas - 420 ml (1 can),
- Garlic - 1 clove,
- Tahini - 2 large spoons,
- Olive oil - 60 ml,
- Lemon juice - 2 large spoons,
- Black pepper, salt - to taste.
- My eggplant, I cut into large pieces.
- The oven is heated to a temperature of 210 degrees.
- Pour olive oil on a baking sheet. I spread the slices of eggplant evenly. Add salt and pepper. I bake 15 minutes at a set temperature.
- I open a jar of canned chickpeas. I pour out the water, wash it and put it in a deep bowl.
- Pour lemon juice and olive oil there. Spread sesame paste and peeled garlic. I grind in a blender.
- Add in a bowl of baked eggplant. Beat until smooth.
- I put the finished hummus on glass jars. Keep in the fridge, covered with a lid.
Hummus recipe with avocado
Light sweetish taste and oily consistency of ripe avocado diversify hummus, will give a dish of originality.
- Chickpeas - 200 g,
- Avocado - 1 piece,
- Lemon is half the fruit,
- Garlic - 2 cloves,
- Zira - 5 g,
- Olive oil - 1 tsp.
- Sea salt - to taste.
- Washed peas. I leave for the night in the water.
- Cook for 2-3 hours until the chickpea is softened. Part of the finished broth poured into a separate dish. I catch chickpea.
- I clean the avocado, remove the bone. I cut into small pieces.
- I keep the seed grains in a hot skillet for 1 minute. I shift to a separate saucer.
- Add olive oil to the pan. Chop garlic and fry.
- Spread the ingredients in a blender. Salt, I squeeze out juice from a lemon, I put a few spoons of chickpeas. Beat up.
The dish is served with rye bread. It turns out very tasty and useful.
With what do you eat hummus?
Chickpea puree is served in a hot and cold state, used to make sandwiches, stuffing eggs, salad dressing.
In eastern countries, food is served as a sauce for pita bread and pita (unleavened bread). In North America, hummus is eaten with toast and even chips.
On top, chickpea paste is decorated with fresh greens, pitted olives, lemon slices.
Hummus is gaining popularity among vegetarians due to its high nutritional value, good vegetable protein content and good compatibility with vegetables. This Asian dish is not bad in harmony with meat.
Try to cook hummus at home. The cooking technology is simple and clear, it is not very difficult, the main thing is to choose quality ingredients (chickpeas, sesame paste) and good spices.
Sights of the amazing city of Pilsen
The odd job on February 23 from handy materials
Why choose ecotourism
How to stop crying