How can you get rid of a strong accent?
If you are learning a foreign language, you probably want to speak it cleanly and without defects, especially if it will be used in your professional activity or everyday life. Is it possible to get rid of the accent? This is real, and there are different ways to improve foreign pronunciation.
What is an accent?
Accent is a certain distinctive feature of the speech of a nationality or nationality, a set of stresses, intonations, pronunciations of certain sounds. The emphasis becomes noticeable when speaking in a foreign language. Having got used to communicate in a certain way, a person cannot remove muscular memory, quickly rebuild an articulation apparatus.
Interesting fact! The same sounds in different languages sound differently. For example, take the "d". In Russian speech, the letter is pronounced firmly, while the language is practically pressed against the teeth by the front part. In English, the same sound softens, and the movements of the tongue will be different: the tip rises up and touches the upper palate.
The problem or not?
Is the accent a serious problem? It all depends on what purpose you learn the language, how you plan to use it. If you need it for self-development, watching foreign films and reading foreign books, then you will hardly need to speak it, and a slight accent will not interfere.
It's quite another matter if you are going to move to another country and start a new life there. To get a job you need clear, competent, clear and correct speech, so if a foreign applicant speaks with an accent, it may be an occasion for the employer to refuse him and accept him as a compatriot. And it is especially important to pronounce words and phrases correctly for people whose professions are directly related to conversations (presenters, diplomats, ambassadors, and so on).
Much depends on the degree of emphasis. If it is barely noticeable, then native speakers will easily understand you, that is, a small defect will not affect communication in any way. But in the case when the accent is very strong, the interlocutor simply will not be able to recognize the words, which will create many problems.
Is it possible to remove the accent?
Getting rid of the accent, in principle, is real.But how quickly you learn competent spoken language depends on several factors. The first is the dialectic features of the city of residence. If the special pronunciation of any sounds is practiced in your locality, it will be extremely difficult to break the habit, and for some it will last forever.
The second factor is the duration of the period of learning a foreign language. The longer you do, the more you use foreign words, the better your articulation unit adapts to foreign and unusual speech.
The third factor is the language being studied. If he belongs to the Slavic group, the accent will quickly go away. Not bad things will be with the English language, because it is international, is used everywhere and is often heard in everyday life, for example, on TV, on the radio.
The fourth factor is the peculiarities of learning and using the language. If you are engaged in self-study, you are unlikely to notice defects. It is impossible to detect them even if mastering is reduced only to grammar, that is, words are mostly written and spoken very rarely. When proper attention is paid to phonetics, the emphasis goes away faster, and if you regularly communicate with native speakers, you will soon speak cleanly and fluently.
How to remove?
How to quickly get rid of the accent in a foreign language? Immediately realize for yourself that you should not rush things and expect quick results. But if you practice more often and make efforts, everything will work out.
So, practical tips:
- Engage with a professional educator who perfectly speaks the language. He will not only correctly provide the necessary information, but will also notice and correct your phonetic and dialectical errors in a timely manner so that they do not take root and become habit. In addition, the teacher will become your interlocutor.
- If you are learning the language yourself, then purchase a manual with audio files. Listen to the words carefully and several times, repeat them, imitating intonation and pronunciation. Also speak phrases outside the classroom several times a day to memorize the position and movements of the tongue, develop muscle memory, and train the articulation apparatus. Even when traveling in public transport, you can put on headphones and listen to the material, of course, without playing it out loud, but simply memorizing and highlighting the details.
- Regularly listen to conversational speech, and uttered by native speakers.You can watch foreign films without translation, include songs, watch programs on foreign channels and so on.
- Communicate with native speakers, because without communication it is impossible to understand the subtleties of speech. You can find a virtual interlocutor in a social network, get to know him better and offer friendship and live communication, for example, via "Skype" or another similar program. Moreover, check with your opponent if he understands all the words, if you sound all the sounds correctly and clearly. This method will allow not only to hone colloquial speech, but also to find a new friend, and in the future to visit him.
- Find an object to follow, for which you will repeat everything. This could be your idol, for example, a foreign actor, singer, broadcaster or other famous person who speaks the language that you want to master perfectly.
- Sing the songs. It may seem funny, but in reality all the words in the songs sound at ease, as if casually tossed them. In addition, singing for many is much more pleasant than talking.
- Limit communication in your own language as much as possible, especially if your goal is to master a foreign language masterly in the future to move to another country.If you constantly hear the usual speech and pronounce Russian words, the articulation unit will not get rid of them and will not be able to fully get used to a different functioning.
- Record your monologue in a foreign language and listen to it. A side view will allow you to get an objective opinion and identify errors. Noticing and eliminating them will bring you closer to achieving your goal.
- What if there is no success? Try to forget about studying for a while, and then start everything from scratch. Yes, you will come back and lose time, but you will be able to start from mastering the basics. In the early stages of training, teachers spend a lot of time on phonetics, and you can master sounds with a sober head and without entrenched defects.
- Do not seek to speak fluently. First, do it slowly and measured, pronouncing all sounds clearly. When they start to pronounce correctly, accelerate the pace of speech.
Following the recommendations in this article, you will be able not only to master the conversation quickly, but also to get rid of the accent. Successes and patience!
Trends of autumn 2017, or what will be fashionable in six months
How to lay the floorboard
How to quickly put a fence
How to draw a butterfly with a pencil: step by step
Knife handle parachute
A simple way to make a bird feeder
How to decorate Easter eggs