Causes of language numbness and what to do with this problem
If the tongue or lips are numb, this is not a disease, but only a symptom of any disease in the human body. Moreover, numbness may manifest itself in different ways:
- some feel running crawls on their tongues;
- others - feel a slight tingling;
- third - do not feel anything with the tongue - there is a dulling or lack of tactile and taste sensations.
All these signs indicate that it is time to undergo examination by specialists in order to identify the disease and overcome it.
Causes of the disease
Why does language numbness occur? There are several reasons that can cause this symptom:
- Visit the dentist to remove the tooth. Nowadays such procedure does not do without an anesthetic: the doctor makes an injection in the patient's gum, and after a few minutes everything in the mouth grows dumb. The duration of such exposure is maintained for half an hour (depending on the dose of the anesthetic agent).If the dentist has squeezed or damaged the nerve of the tongue, his sensitivity is dulled, and the numbness can last for a week, a month or even more. In this case, we recommend to visit a neurologist, so that he conducted a complete diagnosis of the body and prescribed appropriate treatment.
- Iron deficiency anemia - low hemoglobin (red blood cells) in the blood, as well as a decrease in the number of red blood cells.
- Diabetes mellitus, as well as endocrine diseases associated with a decrease in the hormone insulin in the human body. Such diseases indicate a violation of the hydrocarbon, protein, fat, water-salt and mineral metabolism.
- Treatment with antibiotics or other medicines. This is the most innocent cause of numbness of the tongue. Once the use of antibiotics stops, the sensitivity of the language comes back to normal. Tip: if these side effects were observed, then be sure to tell your doctor about it, who prescribed this type of medication.
- The specific structure of the skull, which provokes the compression of the IX pair of cranial nerves (glossopharyngeal nerve).In this case, surgery is necessary.
- Osteocondritis of the spine. It is noticed that the defeat of the intervertebral discs and cartilage entails a number of diseases, accompanied by pain and numbness of certain parts of the body. Cervical osteochondrosis can cause numbness of the tongue, dizziness, headaches, etc. This disease is quite common among people of different ages, even among young people who spend an excessive amount of time behind the desk.
- Cardiovascular diseases, including stroke.
- Burn during a hot drink (tea, coffee). In this case, not the entire language can become numb, but only its tip.
- Cancer of the larynx, in which the throat becomes numb, the tongue, the whole mouth and even the face. Such a disease often befalls people who smoke for a long time.
Diagnostic and treatment methods
Sensing the numbness of the language, the question immediately arises, what to do? The surest decision is to seek help from a specialist in the clinic. Consultation is desirable:
- a dentist;
- a gastroenterologist;
- a neurologist;
Your doctor will examine you, collect a history, as well as information about previously transferred diseases. Conduct a comprehensive diagnosis to identify the causes of the pathology and prescribe treatment.
Often the patient:
- donates blood for analysis to exclude or confirm the presence of diabetes;
- examines the cardiovascular system;
- undergoes a study of cranial nerves (glossopharyngeal and vagus);
- makes magnetic resonance and ultrasound diagnostics.
Instrumental methods of diagnosing this disease:
- Ultrasound diagnostics using a special ultrasound emitter;
- Magnetic resonance tomography is performed to identify pathologies of the brain and spinal cord, which provokes paresthesia of the tongue.
Having determined the cause of the disease, the specialist prescribes:
- vitamin complex;
- a number of drugs;
- physiotherapeutic procedures;
So, if the patient:
- vegetative-vascular dystonia, then vitamins and minerals are prescribed to improve blood circulation;
- cervical osteochondrosis, it is recommended to undergo a course of special exercises and therapeutic massage;
- laryngeal cancer - surgical and medical treatment;
- trigeminal neurology, damage to the nerves of the mouth and throat - prescribe medications, physiotherapy and / or surgery in the form of impulse currents,operation, acupuncture, laseropuncture.
The methods of folk treatment include the following:
- meditation and yoga;
- cotton wool dipped in warm sea buckthorn oil, attach to the tongue;
- a piece of garlic tongue roll in his mouth, slightly biting him. The procedure should be done 10 minutes after eating 3 times / day, always at night;
- strict diet, excluding spicy, sour, salty and fried; Term - 2-3 months.
- daily rinsing of the mouth with tincture of oak bark and a small amount of honey.
In conclusion, we note that self-medication numbness of the language is unacceptable! Therefore, folk treatment should be carried out only as a supplement to the treatment, which was prescribed by a specialist.
Strong and healthy heart - how to achieve it
This Japanese doctor is 105 years old. Here are 5 golden rules that he follows by himself
Sleepy life hacking: how to effectively cheer up during a break at work
A pair of cats
How do women end up
Unusual cocktail recipes on March 8